I bet you are all wondering what amazing events you'll be able to participate in this year at Aurora for Cosplayers! Well wonder no more because your friendly neighborhood Cosplay Director is here to announce them all!
- 2nd Annual Aurora Cosplay Pageant
We are bringing back the Pageant format for this year's Cosplay Contest!
There wont be a pre-registration for the event so make sure to check the schedule for the registration times! Late entrants will not be accepted.
The contest will be held in the afternoon and prizes will be handed out right at the end of the contest so you don't have to worry about missing out!
The pageant is for people who have created Cosplay that are accurate to the character AND/OR people who have a skit/song/dance prepared in advance. You must be able to fit into one of those two categories, only accurate costume walk-ons will be allowed OR people who have holiday-themed costumes who also have a skit or actual performance prepared.
Rule Update: You are NOT permitted to bring gifts/candy/etc. to pass/throw/hand out to the audience or to the judges. This encourages negative behaviours in the audience and among competitors and will result in automatic disqualification. If you have any problems/questions, email our Cosplay Director!
- Holiday Themed Cosplay Mr and Miss Aurora Contest
If you are planning on making a Holiday or Winter themed costume to wear at Aurora, then please consider entering the first annual Holiday Themed Mr and Miss contest!
This contest will be open ONLY to people who have customized a costume to be Holiday (Christmas, New Years, etc.) or winter themed costumes.
The voting set-up will be similar to the main convention's Mr and Miss voting, where you will be given a number to wear and people will have to cast votes for you at the desk for you to win. There will NOT be online Twitter voting for this contest, only physical paper ballots. So get working on those themed costumes and enter to win some awesome prizes and the bragging rights of being the very first Mr or Miss Aurora! Winners will be announced at closing ceremonies (but before the Gala).
- Everything you Ever wanted to know about entering a Cosplay related Contest Panel (better, shorter name pending...)
There are tons and tons of you who have absolutely AMAZING cosplay costumes out there who don't ever enter the cosplay contest, the cosplay showcase, or the Mr/Miss contest. We believe that it is because you have questions that need answering, so Martyn (Otafest/Animethon Cosplay Showcase Judge) and Amanda (Otafest's Cosplay Director) are here to help!
Martyn and Amanda will be hosting a 1 hour panel during Aurora this year where they will go over the basics of their respective contests and will be there to answer any questions you may have about entering one of the amazing contests that we host at Otafest. Bring your questions and your creative awesomeness and check it out! (Time of panel to be announced shortly)
So there you have it, two amazing contests and a panel! Let's get the hype started and keep those sewing machines running!
Amanda Langer - Cosplay Director
- There will be three categories in which contestants will be judged: Costume, Performance, and Authenticity.
- Each category will have one judge, all of whom are successful in their respective category, scoring ONLY for their category. ie. The performance judge will not be scoring on authenticity and so forth.
- The three categories will be scored as such:
- Costume (100 Points)
- Construction: how the costume has been put together, ie. Sewing machine, hand stitching, tape, ect.
- Materials: functionality of all materials used, including props
- Creativity: how the costume was created, ie. Sewing patterns, free cutting, bustform, ect.
- Overall Impression: the individual judge's opinion on the completeness of the costume
- Performance (100 Points)
- Conception/Creativity: how well the performance was put together ie. Storyline, completeness, uniqueness, ect
- Preparation: how well rehearsed is the performance? Does everyone know their lines?
- Performing Skills: does everyone speak clearly? Are people blocking others on stage?
- Entertainment Value: is the performance entertaining? Does the audience get involved?
- Time: how long is your performance? Do you go over your allotted time limit?
- Authenticity (50 Points)
- Character Personality: how closely does your actions match the actual character?
- Costume: is the outfit instantly recognizable as the character you are portraying?
- Performance: does the performance depict a realistic scenario for the character?
- Costume (100 Points)
- Each judge will be responsible for awarding the prizes for their respective categories, and will also be contributing their scores to the overall scores. If needed, any of the judges may consult with the other judging teams for a second opinion. The Award system is as follows:
- Costume Category: Best Costume and Best Costume Runner Up (awarded to an individual)
- Performance Category: Best Performance and Best Performance Runner Up (individual or group)
- Authenticity Category: Most Authentic and Most Authentic Runner Up (individual or group)
- Best in Show and Best in Show Runner Up (individual or group)
- Fan Favorite and Fan Favorite Runner Up (individual or group)
The Fan Favorite Awards will be decided upon by the judges in concert with the Cosplay Director and the Cosplay Host depending on the overall reactions of the audience during each entrant's performance. The Best in Show awards will be a total average of all of the judges scores.
- The judges will be provided with access to resources in the event they need to verify their results, ie. Needing reference material for an unfamiliar character, ect.
- You are NOT permitted to bring gifts/candy/etc. to pass/throw/hand out to the audience or to the judges. This encourages negative behaviours in the audience and among competitors and will result in automatic disqualification.
- According to the Otafest Weapons Policy (see website), any forbidden weapons to the convention will be also banned from the Cosplay Contest. However, some weapons and props may be given special permission to be used ONLY during the Cosplay Contest as per the discretion of the Cosplay Director. These weapons will be stored by the Otafest Security Personnel until the time of the contest and then will be brought to the green room for you to use. Use of a banned weapon or a weapon or prop that has not been inspected by the Otafest Security will result in immediate disqualification from the contest. If you bring a weapon that is deemed banned by the Otafest Security at time of registration, please let the judges and the Director know upon check-in on the day of the contest.
- All Participants in the Cosplay Contest must abide by all Otafest Policies at all times.
- The Time Limit system will be as follows:
- Every Entrant (single or group) will be given a base time of 2:00
- Each Additional member to a group (beyond the first participant) will be granted an additional 0:15 to the total time allotted for the group. (eg. A group of 5 people would be granted 3:00, 2:00 + 4 x 0:15)
- Going over your allotted time limit will result in deductions from your performance score.
- If you are performing a walk-on, you will not receive a performance score but will still be required to stay within your allotted time limit.
- Only costume items (clothing pieces, props, accessories, ect) that were created by the contestant (with reasonable help from friends and family) will qualify to receive a costume score. This includes re-purposed clothing (changing or adding on to a store bought base piece of clothing or footwear) and all prop material. Please be honest when asked about your costume by the judges, they are experts in the field and will appreciate honesty.
- If you require music to be played during your performance, you must bring your music either on a CD that has been tested beforehand or a flash drive and submit it during sign-up. This CD must be a burned copy with ONLY the track(s) you will be using in your performance on it. Due to potential loss or damage of CD, make sure this is something that you can part with. No other forms of audio will be accepted. If for any reason your form of music can not be used, please have a back up plan in place.
- Any other questions not included in the above rules should be brought up with the Cosplay Director or Judges before the contest. All questions can be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org and will be answered promptly.